1.5 to 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken (thighs or breast meat)
4 cloves of garlic (or ½ teaspoon garlic powder)
½ tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Black pepper (to taste)
1 medium yellow onion
1 medium green bell pepper
1 medium red bell pepper
1 15oz. can diced tomatoes
3 tablespoons tomato paste
Salt (to taste)
- Place chicken pieces in bottom of slow cooker. Mince garlic, if using, and add to slow cooker. Sprinkle oregano, cumin, red pepper flakes and black pepper over chicken.
- Slice onion and bell peppers into strips and place on top of chicken in slow cooker. Add can of diced tomato with juices and drop dollops of tomato paste over this.
- Place lid over slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. (If cooking longer than this, thigh meat holds up better than breast meat.)
- Before serving, remove lid and use tongs to stir contents, breaking chicken into shreds. You can thicken the sauce by allowing the pot to continue to simmer without the lid for 15 minutes.
- Add salt to taste. (Around ½ teaspoon.)
- Serve in a bowl, over rice or in a warm tortilla.