Makes approximately 8 servings
- 6-7 large potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size pieces (I like Yukon Gold Potatoes)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 32 oz. or 2 cans of chicken broth
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 can condensed cream of celery soup
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened & cubed
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/2 c milk (for thinning)
- 4-5 slices of bacon cooked crisp and crumbled
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Diced green onions (Optional)
- Cook potatoes & onion in chicken broth along with just enough water to cover potatoes & onions. Cook until tender. (Once tender use a potato masher to mash a few to make the soup thick and creamy. Don’t mash ALL the potatoes because you still want chunks of potato in the soup).
- Add cubes of Cream Cheese. Remove from heat until cheese is melted. Return to low/medium heat.
- Add half the bacon, soups, butter, & spices. Cook for another 10 or so minutes.
- Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese & bacon pieces. I also used a little green onion to garnish.
This dish can also be done in a slow cooker, add all ingredients except the cream cheese and the garnish to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours, Add and melt cream cheese just before serving.
Submitted By David Courington ITS Department