- 1 pound lean ground beef or Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 8 ounces pizza sauce
- 4 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms ( or 1 small can sliced mushrooms drained)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
- 1 cup Baking mix
- 1/4 cup very hot water
** As an option you can use refrigerated biscuit dough instead of making the dough.
- Heat oven to 375ºF. Grease four 10- to 12-ounce casseroles.
- Cook ground beef, onion and bell pepper in 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until beef is brown; drain. Stir in pizza sauce and mushrooms. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon beef mixture into casseroles. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese on each.
- Mix Baking mix and very hot water; beat vigorously 20 seconds. Turn dough onto surface dusted with Baking mix or flour; gently roll in dough on surface to coat.
- Shape into ball; knead about 10 times or until smooth. Divide dough into 4 balls. Pat each ball into circle the size of diameter of casserole. Cut steam vent in each circle with knife or cookie cutter.
- Place each circle on beef mixture in casserole.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until very light brown.
An alternative to the dough would be to use large size refrigerated biscuit dough and roll them out and fit them into large muffin tin cups.
Submitted By David Courington ITS Department