Makes 4 – 6 servings
Approximate Cost: $7.00 total ($1.20 – $1.75 per serving)
This chicken salad is easy to make and is easy to modify to your liking. This is a basic recipe that can be turned into turkey or tuna salad with a few minor changes.
- 1 10 oz. can chicken meat, drained
- 2 Tbsps. sweet relish
- ½ tsp. ground mustard (this is a dry powder found in the spices dept. in the store)
- ½ tsp. poultry seasoning (this is a blend of several spices also found in the spices dept.)
- 2 Tbsps. English walnuts, chopped (or toasted pecans, chopped or sliced almonds) – optional*
- 2 Tbsps. dried sweet cranberries – also known as “craisins” (or red seedless grapes, cut in half) – optional*
- 1 small stalk of celery, chopped – optional*
- 1 hard-boiled egg, peeled and chopped – optional*
- ¼ – ½ cup mayonnaise (or Miracle Whip – salad dressing) **
- Dump the chicken out of the can into a mixing bowl. Then using a fork, break the chunks of chicken into small pieces of chicken.
- Combine all the other ingredients in the mixing bowl with the chicken. Mix well.
- *You can increase, decrease, or leave out any of the “optional” ingredients.
- **Start with the smaller amount of mayonnaise; add more as needed to make the mixture smooth but not too wet.
- For best taste, cover and refrigerate the chicken salad for a couple of hours to allow the flavors time to blend.
- This easy chicken salad is good for sandwiches or to serve as a salad.
- For sandwiches, spread up to ½ cup of the salad between two slices of bread. Add lettuce and sliced tomato if desired.
- To serve as a salad, scoop about ½ cup of the salad onto a bed of lettuce and serve along with your favorite crackers.
By Evelyn Gutknecht MIS/Consortium